DCVB/MSG seeking executive director
DARKE COUNTY VISITORS BUREAU &
MAIN STREET GREENVILLE
JOB DESCRIPTION / POSTING
General Program Description
Main Street Greenville, Inc. and the Darke County Visitor’s Bureau are a 501(c)3 and 501(c)6 organization, respectively. The two independent organizations have a unique strategic partnership in the form of a joint Executive Director that allows them to execute their missions with increased efficiency. The organizations’ have independent missions but find their overlap in promoting destinations to stimulate economic development.
The position is hired by an executive committee comprised of MSG & DCVB Board members, subject to the approval of the full Board of Trustees for each organization. The position ultimately reports to this joint executive committee.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Oversee the day-to-day operations of the organizations and the Darke County Welcome Center.
• Manage all administrative aspects of the organizations, including purchasing, record keeping, budget development and bookkeeping; assisting with the preparation of reports to funding agencies; assisting with bi-annual state audit reports in accordance with written financial procedures approved by the board.
• Responsible for communication to Board of Trustees through bi-monthly Director’s Reports, and as needed, before bi-monthly board meetings.
• Serve as advisor to the President of the Board, the Board of Trustees, and standing sub-committees.
• Attend all meetings of the Board of Trustees and other duly designated committees in an advisory, non-voting capacity.
• Help build strong and productive working relationships with appropriate public agencies and stakeholders at the local and state levels.
• Responsible for the hiring, directing, and supervising of all employees (full time or part time), volunteers and interns.
• Interview and submit for hire to the Board of Trustees candidates for vacant positions.
• Foster an understanding of the organizations’ goals and objectives through speaking engagements, media interviews and appearances, always keeping the program highly visible in the community.
• Work closely with local elected officials (city and county level) to advocate for the organizations’ and their stakeholders’ interests.
• Represent the organizations on local boards as positions are available, such as the Darke County Chamber of Commerce, Versailles Area Chamber of Commerce, Darke County Center for the Arts, and others as recommended by board.
• Network with directors of other visitor bureaus, chambers of commerce, main street organizations and economic development offices in the State of Ohio. Be aware of legislative issues at the state and federal levels that affect small business development, downtown revitalization, and the tourism industry. Maintain communication with state representatives.
• Said duties will require mandatory evening and weekend hours during events and meetings.
• Said duties will require occasional travel for meetings and training sessions.
• All other duties as assigned.
DCVB Specific Duties:
• Develop and supervise implementation of an annual operating and marketing plan for the DCVB which is driven by the current board-approved Strategic Plan.
• Create, promote, and market The Official Visitors Guide for Darke County, which is published every other year.
• Create Annual Report for DCVB of yearly accomplishments for public distribution.
• Formulate and direct the marketing, advertising, sales and promotion programs including public relations and ad sales of The Official Visitors Guide for Darke County.
• Develop and supervise plans to promote Darke County as a visitor destination. Work in conjunction with surrounding VB’s to create new tourism programs and publicize the existing tourist attractions more fully.
• Maintain paid memberships with Ohio Association of Convention & Visitors Bureau (OACVB) and Ohio Travel Association (OTA).
• Actively participate in OACVB, OTA, and TourismOhio programs including but not limited to, annual meetings, co-operative marketing opportunities and road shows.
MSG Specific Duties:
• Coordinate activity of Main Street program committees (Promotions, Economic Vitality, Design, and Organization), ensuring that communication between committees are well established; assist committees with creation and implementation of work plan items.
• Develop, in conjunction with the Main Street program's Board of Trustees, strategies for downtown economic development and goals to bring new vibrancy to the downtown district.
• Assist downtown business owners or property owners with physical improvement projects when possible. Examples may include personal consultation; assist in locating appropriate contractors and materials; provide advice and guidance on necessary financial mechanisms for physical improvements.
• Encourage improvements in the downtown community's ability to undertake joint activities such as promotional events, advertising, uniform store hours, special events, business recruitment, parking management and so on. Provide advice and information on successful downtown management. Encourage a cooperative climate between downtown interests and local public officials.
• Coordinate and oversee the implementation of fundraising initiatives in accordance with the fundraising plan approved by the board.
• Utilizing the Main Street program format, develop and maintain data systems to track the process and progress of the local Main Street program. These systems should include economic monitoring, individual building files, thorough photographic documentation of all physical changes and information on job creation and business retention.
Job Knowledge and Skills Required
The ED should have education and/or experience in one or more of the following areas: marketing, fundraising, strategic planning, economics, finance, public relations, tourism/hospitality, design, journalism, business administration, public administration, communications, volunteer or nonprofit administration and /or small business development. The director must understand the issues confronting small business owners, the hospitality market, public agencies and fellow community organizations. The director must be entrepreneurial, energetic, imaginative, well organized and capable of functioning effectively in a very independent leadership situation. Basic mathematical and computer skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential. Supervisory skills are necessary, as the position requires staff and volunteer management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands to find, handle or feel. The employee may be required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision required by this job includes close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Education, Experience, Benefits
• College Graduate with Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Nonprofit Administration, Business Management, Economics, Tourism/Hospitality, Communications, or related field.
• Two to five years minimum experience in one of the above fields.
• All candidates must pass a Background Investigation and Drug Screening test.
• All Candidates must show proof of a current and valid Ohio Drivers’ License.
• Candidate must have experience in Windows-based programs and social media marketing. Graphic design software knowledge and experience extremely helpful.
• This is not an entry level position.
• This is a salaried position with benefits commensurate with experience and education.
• Benefits for the position include a retirement contribution and a cell phone stipend.
• Candidate will serve a probationary period, not to exceed 120 days.
• Salary Range: 55K-60K
• All candidates must submit the following no later than August 27th, 2021:
• Letter of Interest
• Resume with Professional References
• Writing Sample
• All information must be sent as a pdf via email to the MSG Board President,
• Phillip Pierri, at the following email: email@example.com
• No applications will be accepted after August 27th, 2021 11:59:59 pm.
• No paper or mailed applications will be accepted.
• If you have questions, please contact the President at the email address listed above.